Chicken Wings and Football Go Together Like Turkey and Thanksgiving
Americans will consume over 1.3 billion chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday. Let me say that number again...1.3 BILLION. That's a whole lotta blue cheese dipping sauce. It comes as no surprise that chicken wings have become a staple on Super Bowl menus as Americans’ demand for them continues to soar. Wings recently flew to the top of the rankings of "The Today Show’s “Super Bowl Snack Bracket," handing a snack smack-down to nachos, guacamole, salsa, chili and other popular menu items.
- 1.3 billion chicken wings is enough for every man, woman and child in the United States to have four wings each.
- If 1.3 billion wings were laid end to end, they would stretch from Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina to Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver almost 53 times.
- That is enough wings to put more than 600 on every seat in all 32 NFL stadiums (Not including London, of course).
- Weighing in at about 162.5 million pounds, 1.3 billion wings weigh 6,325 times more than the combined weights of the Panthers and Broncos entire 52-man rosters.
- If one of the three Power Ball winners spent his/her entire lump sum on chicken wings (which we think they should), they could buy about 123 million lbs of wings, or only 76% of the 1.3 billion wings eaten Super Bowl weekend.
- 3 billion wings would stretch 10,468 times from the deepest part of the Marianas Trench in the Pacific Ocean to the surface.
If you don't want to spend all day Super Sunday slaving over a hot oven making the perfect chicken wing, how about just ordering some. Here's our list of the best places in the Quad Cities to get chicken wings:
GO (insert favorite team here)! Since my birthday is the day before the Super Bowl, I hope I'll miss the game...if ya know what I mean.