JCPenney Delays Closing of 138 Stores
The Chicago Tribune reported on Friday that the financially struggling J.C.Penney chain will delay the closing of 138 stores by several weeks.
A Penney’s spokesman said traffic at the stores slated for closure has increased since the announcement was made, which is common in these situations, but not enough to deter the closings.
The stores will now shut down on July 31 rather than the original mid-June date. The liquidation sale originally scheduled to begin today, April 17, will begin May 22 instead.
Iowa store closings include:
- Downtown Decorah
- Crossroads Mall in Fort Dodge
- Penn Central Mall in Oskaloosa
- Quincy Place in Ottumwa
The Illinois Penney’s stores closing include:
- Eastland Mall in Bloomington
- Fulton Square in Canton
- Village Square Mall in Effingham
- Peru Mall
- Northland Mall in Sterling
- Centerpointe of Woodridge