The 3 Most Dangerous Household Products For Children To Consume
Since I became a mom two and a half years ago, I have worried nonstop about my daughter. Is she eating enough of the right foods? Is that rash normal? Should her poop be that weird color? But I have to admit, I may not have put enough emphasis on whether or not my daughter had access to potentially dangerous items that she could consume by accident.
Let's face it, even with door locks and other safety measures, kids still have a way of finding things, and they have no qualms about taking licks or tastes of something that looks appealing to their untrained eyes. I know, for instance, that my daughter has had no problem taking bites of crayons, sand, or paper in the past, and she can be very sneaky about it.
I try to use as many "natural" and non toxic soaps and cleaners in my house as possible to make it a safer environment for everyone, but we still own plenty of products that could be harmful in large doses. According to the website Fatherly, there are three items that warrant the most calls to poison control every year, and they're not all as obvious as you might think.
1. Cosmetics and Personal Care Items- Including things like makeup, deodorant, shampoo, and toothpaste. Sure, I try to keep the toothpaste away from my toddler (mainly because I'm afraid she'll attempt to squeeze the entire tube out onto the floor), but I wouldn't think twice about leaving my deodorant on the counter. Obviously, I need to work on that.
2. Analgesics- Including any over the counter pill, like Tylenol or cough medicine. I definitely try to be more careful about closing the caps on medicine bottles and putting them in higher up cabinets, but it's easy to forget sometimes. Another thing I'm guilty of is leaving bottles of vitamins out on the counter, which can also be dangerous if consumed in large doses.
3. Cleaning Products- Including sprays, soaps, and detergent. Fatherly brings up a good point when they say that although cleaning products are a "duh" in terms of being dangerous for kids to consume, it's very easy to leave a dishwasher with detergent wide open when you're trying to clean. My daughter has accidentally gotten a hold of a dishwashing tab, but thankfully, had not taken a bite out of it when I found her.
I think it's easy to judge parents for being "negligent" when you hear that someone's child has gotten sick or died from consuming a household product, but the reality is that it's a sadly common occurrence. Even the best parents can't possibly have an eye on their kid 24 hours a day, and if your child is anything like mine, she knows how to hide when she's doing something wrong.
If your child ever consumes one of the above products or anything that might be a cause for concern, do not hesitate to call poison control at: 1-800-222-1222. They are open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Add that number to your contacts list right now. You never know when you might need it