Comic-Con 2017: ‘Stranger Thing 2’ Panel Teases Thrilling Returns
We’ve still a few months before Stranger Things 2 turns our lives upside down, but the storm has already hit Comic-Con 2017. Get tuned to Eleven and find out what major details were revealed from the assembled cast in San Diego with our full panel report!
- Whether or not he’ll cameo remains to be seen, but Patton Oswalt at least got to moderate the panel.
- Early moments of the panel saw Ross and Matt Duffer again explaining the unique logo and typeface for Stranger Things, wanting to pay homage to the Stephen King paperbacks they were familiar with.
- Oswalt couldn’t help but joke that upcoming Hellboy star David Harbour has a little bit of a “dad bod” compared with the character’s usual buff appearance.
- It’s no accident that Matthew Modine was present for the panel, even as his character Dr. Brenner was given a fairly gruesome (if offscreen) exit.
- One can’t help nodding toward the absurd (and porn-worthy) specificity of Finn Wolfhard’s name, to which Patton Oswalt joked not to take any projects titled Stranger Thongs.
- As the trailer intimated, we’ll learn what exactly happened during Will’s time in the Upside Down, and why said alternate dimension seems to want his return so much.
- David Harbour teased a very different arc for Hopper than Season 1, including a significant team-up with Eleven, Eggos and all.
- Shannon Purser provided the first fan question, of course asking if Barb would be in Season 2. The answer was no, but Harbour at least promised that Barb would be “avenged.” In some form. We really need to let this gag go, folks.
Elsewhere of Stranger Things Season 2, we know the next chapter will move from its summer perch to an October 27 premiere. The story will pick up in the fall of 1984, while creators Matt and Ross Duffer have teased a James Cameron sequel influence in crafting the second chapter.
We’ll also learn more about the Upside Down, as teased in our exclusive concept art piece, while Sadie Sink and Power Rangers star Dacre Montgomery have been added to the cast in regular roles, along with Brett Gelman, Goonies alum Sean Astin, Aliens baddie Paul Reiser and actress Linnea Berthelsen. The full list of directors has also been revealed, including Finding Dory helmer Andrew Stanton.
We’ll learn more of Stranger Things Season 2 in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for additional details, and watch the latest teaser below.