Memorial Day Stats and Facts
It's the unofficial start to summer. Memorial Day weekend is this weekend, but it's not about backyard cook-outs or swimming pools. It's a weekend where we remember and honor those who have served and maybe made the ultimate sacrifice.
I have had some childhood friends who served and some that are not here anymore and some that are currently serving including former B100 Morning Show co-host Cody Tucker. I always remember my Grandpa who served in the Navy, and honor my youngest cousin who had served 2 terms in Iraq and is now a recruiter in Wisconsin.
According to Wallet Hub, these are 7 interesting facts about Memorial Day....
1. 25 cities around the country CLAIM to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. But the first state that officially recognized it as a holiday was New York in 1873.
2. 75% of us will go to a barbecue this weekend. It's the second most-popular holiday for grilling. Fourth of July is first.
3. Between now and Labor Day, Americans will eat about 7 BILLION hot dogs. That's 818 hot dogs every second.
4. 39.3 million Americans are traveling this weekend, up about 3% from last year. 88% are driving to their destination. Orlando is the most popular place to go.
5. 41% of us expect to buy something this weekend at a Memorial Day sale.
6. Be careful out there: There's a 25% bump in cooking-related fires on Memorial Day. About 50,000 people will be injured in car accidents this weekend. And 44% of traffic fatalities will involve alcohol.
7. 42 million veterans have served in war time. And a total of 1.3 million Americans have lost their lives defending the United States. That's an important stat since remembering THEM is what Memorial Day is really about.
On Monday, May 29th, the Arsenal is holding a Memorial Day Ceremony at the cemetery starting at 10:45 a.m.
Service on Saturday afternoon, May 27th honoring 21 Civil War and Spanish American War Veterans at Davenport’s City Cemetery.
2:30 p.m. service on Sunday, May 28th, at All-Veterans Memorial at Davenport’s Memorial Park.
10 a.m. service Saturday, May 27th at Hero Street Monument in Silvis.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.