Bundle Up! Extremely Cold Wind Chills To Blast Into The Quad Cities Friday
Things are going to get pretty cold tonight throughout Iowa, Illinois, and the Quad Cities. Very cold Arctic air will be pushed into the area Thursday night into Friday bringing us some very cold temperatures. Make sure your car battery is up-to-par and your warming coats are charged because things will be getting very cold to wrap up the work week.
Wind Chill Advisory For Iowa and Illinois
The National Weather Service of the Quad Cities has issued a Wind Chill Advisory for the majority of counties in the Quad Cities and the surrounding area. That Wind Chill Advisory will go into effect at 11 p.m. tonight and end at 10 a.m. on Friday.
When we wake up Friday morning, expect wind chills to bring temperatures down to -20° to -30°. This means that the risk of getting frostbite is high if the skin is exposed too long to the impending dangerously cold temperatures.
Make sure to limit the time pets spend outside and make sure everyone is bundled up with stocking hats, winter coats, gloves/mittens, and even a scarf or mask.
You're also going to want to double-check that your vehicle is ready for the Arctic blast tonight. Stop by one of the many auto shops in the Quad Cities on your way home (especially ones that do free battery tests) to make sure your car will start Friday morning.
Warm Weather To Follow The Cold
Luckily, we will only be dealing with this cold for one day. Here is the National Weather Service of the Quad Cities' forecast for tonight through Tuesday (as of 4 p.m. on Thursday):
- Mostly clear, with a low around -5°.
- Wind chill values as low as -20°.
- Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Sunny, with a high near 1°2. Wind chill values as low as -20°.
- Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Friday Night
- Mostly clear, with a temperature falling to nearly 8° by 8 pm, then rising to around 16° during the remainder of the night.
- Wind chill values as low as -5°.
- South wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.
- Partly sunny, with a high near 41°.
- Breezy, with a southwest wind of 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 42°.
- Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48°.
- Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41°.