WATCH LIVE: Dwyer & Michaels Partner With Davenport Fire For Firework Safety Demo
We here at the Dwyer & Michaels Morning Show believe in two things when it comes to fireworks; there's no better way to celebrate your country's birth than blowing up a small piece of it, and safety being the number one priority.
That's why we're pairing up with the Davenport Fire Department for a LIVE demonstration on how to have fun with fireworks in a safe way. We'll be live on Facebook at 9AM to show what they recommend.
Obviously, that doesn't mean we didn't send Hairball out to get the biggest raw turkey he could find.
Davenport Fire Department would like to remind everyone of some safe practices, like buying consumer fireworks legally. That means the fireworks you have display the certificate and aren't some thing your uncle pulled out of the back of his garage. Also, buy your fireworks from an approved tent or store... They'll have a printed certificate on display or that they're able to show you.
A few other safe practices they recommend:
- Never let children play with or ignite fireworks.
- Have a garden hose or bucket of water available in case of a firework not igniting.
- Alcohol and fireworks don't mix. Lead by example and always have a sober, responsible adult in charge.
- Know the proper dates and times to discharge fireworks in your neighborhood.
- Only buy fireworks from legal, approved dealers.
- Aim fireworks away from flammable material and people; don't use them inside.
- Never extend body parts over the device.
- Never relight a 'dud' firework.
- Don't light off fireworks on public property, like schools, parks or streets.
We'll be live on Facebook at 9AM with the Davenport Fire Department, which you can watch here, or on our Facebook Page.