Finally, Warmer Weather Returning To The Quad Cities
Finally, some good news about the weather! We will see some sunshine, and even warm weather returning to the Quad Cities after two weeks of extreme cold weather. We will still have chilly temps and a chance of snow before we get there, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. That light is the sun!
After about a week and a half of extremely cold temperatures in the Quad Cities, Mother Nature is finally going to give us a break. Warmer weather is on the horizon and we will actually have above normal temperatures to round out the month of February.
According to the National Weather Service (NWS) of the Quad Cities, the last week of February is trending towards above normal temperatures. Iowa and Illinois both have a greater than 40% probably of those temps being warmer than normal between February 23 to March 1.
On Tuesday, the NWS of the Quad Cities said that with Cedar Rapids reaching 3°, we snapped our 107 hour streak of being below zero. As the forecast stands right now, our overnight lows will stop being at or below 0° Friday night.
Before we get to warmer temperatures, we will also see a chance for more snow today starting at noon. There is a 40% chance of snow for the Quad Cities today between 3 p.m. and 11 p.m., but we should only see about a half inch of snow when it's all said and done.
As the forecast stands right according to the National Weather Service, we are expected to see highs above the freezing mark (32°) on Sunday when we hit a high of 34°. The last time we saw highs above the freezing mark was on February 4 when it was 36°, according to timeanddate.com.
Below is your current 7 day outlook according to the National Weather Service of the Quad Cities:
- A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after 3pm.
- Mostly cloudy, with a high near 15.
- Wind chill values as low as -20.
- Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.
- Wednesday Night
- A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11pm.
- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5.
- Wind chill values as low as -5.
- East wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight.
- Partly sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -5. North wind around 5 mph.
- Thursday Night
- Partly cloudy, with a low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -10. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 15.
- Friday Night
- Partly cloudy, with a low around 0.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 26.
- Saturday Night
- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.
- A 30 percent chance of snow after 7am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34.
- Sunday Night
- A 30 percent chance of snow before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 36.
- Monday Night
- Partly cloudy, with a low around 30.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.