Iowa, This Is When The Airports And Roads Will Likely Be The Busiest For Holiday Travel
We're planning the logistics of holiday travel now and the AAA has released the times that roads are expected to be the busiest this season.
If you're a person who isn't normally late to stuff, like me, and has ever taken a road trip, you've had the thought of leaving early to avoid a slew of traffic jams. If you've ever flown, you may have gotten to the airport hours early because who knows what the security line could look like. (Bonus early points if this applies to the Moline airport, not Chicago O'Hare)
The AAA has released their expected times that will be the busiest ones on American roads for the holiday season and Stacker has posted when security lines are the longest at the biggest airports. So let's get into it while you're planning your travel times.
If you're en route to your holiday location by car, the worst times to travel are on 12/23 are from 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. and on Christmas Eve, don't travel anywhere from 12:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
But the best times to travel on those days are these:
- 12/23: before 2:00 p.m. or after 8:00 p.m.
- 12/24: before 11:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.
Coming back from the holidays, the worst times to be behind the wheel are on 12/26, 2:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. and most days following that until New Year's Day, it's 3:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Your best bet is to travel in the mornings, before 2:00 p.m. or after 8:00 p.m.
The busiest travel days are expected to be Dec. 27th, 28th, and Jan. 2.
Meanwhile, earlier this year Stacker released the busiest times for security at some of the U.S.'s biggest airports. Here are a few you might encounter with some of the longer wait times on the list:
- Chicago O'Hare: 9:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Security wait time average: 36 minutes
- Atlanta: 1:00 a.m.-2:00 a.m. & 11:00 p.m.-12:00 p.m. (so apparently a lot of red eye flights there) Security wait time average: 26 minutes
- Denver: 4:00 a.m.-5:00 a.m. Security wait time average: 30 minutes
- Dallas Fort Worth: 8:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Security wait time average: 31 minutes
Mind you, these are just the average reported wait times for the security line. You could be there for a long time. That's why you might consider applying for TSA Precheck at the Quad City Airport's enrollment event for it this week.
Join B100 At This Brand New, 5-Star, Adult-Only Resort In Mexico
- Dates: June 27-June 30th
- Flights: Nonstop flight from Chicago O'Hare to Cancun International Airport (return flights the same)
- You can send Gulliver's Travel Duck Creek in Bettendorf an email right now to B100@gulliverstravel.com and they automatically know to send you details about B100's trip to Mexico
- You can text message Gulliver's Travel Duck Creek in Bettendorf! Send the message "B100 Trip" to (309)-292-2354 and they'll reply back with information about our trip to Mexico!
- Finally, you can stop into Gulliver's Travel Duck Creek in Bettendorf at 874 Middle Road, Bettendorf, IA 52722 to talk with one of the great agents about the B100 trip to Mexico. They'll give you all of the details you need to know about your vacation with us! You can call them at (563)-359-6500 before heading to the agency.