Peak Heat Index Values To Be Over 100 Degrees In The Quad Cities Saturday
There is no doubt it's been a hot one this week. We haven't seen much rain and the sun has been beating down on the Quad Cities. If you think this hot weather is going to lighten up, think again. Even warmer temperatures are coming this weekend so make plans now to swim or sit in the air conditioning.
The National Weather Service of the Quad Cities is letting us know it's going to be a hot one on Saturday. Officials say we should expect a warm and humid start to the weekend. Heat index values are expected to be above 100° at times Saturday afternoon.
The warm weather and high humidity are a perfect recipe for storm chances Saturday night. Those increasing storm chances are expected to be in the evening and overnight hours. Damaging winds will be the primary threat with those storms. North of I-80, there is an enhanced potential for those storms. South of I-80, the potential is marginal.
The National Weather Service of Des Moines released a graphic show expected highs throughout the state of Iowa on Saturday as seen in the tweet below.
Looking at Davenport, highs are expected to hit 100°. Those in south of I-80 will see highs in the mid to upper 100s.
With those hot temperatures and high humidity, heat illness could occur which means you should drink plenty of fluids, stay in the air-conditioning, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.
If you have young children and pets, make sure you check the backseat so as to not leave them in the backseat in the heat and unattended.
Officials say that you should take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. Make sure you know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
Below is the forecast from today through Monday, according to the National Weather Service of the Quad Cities:
- Sunny, with a high near 92.
- West wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
- A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.
- Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
- Friday Night
- A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.
- Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.
- Mostly sunny, with a high near 94.
- Saturday Night
- A chance of showers and thunderstorms then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1 am.
- Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73.
- The chance of precipitation is 60%.
- A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1 pm.
- Partly sunny, with a high near 85.
- Sunday Night
- A 30 percent chance of showers after 1 am.
- Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.
- Partly sunny, with a high near 82.