Practice Safe Shopping on Black Friday
Millions of people will be hitting the stores for Black Friday shopping on Thanksgiving night and early Friday. In all the excitement of scoring door busters and finding those perfect presents don't forget to keep yourself safe.
Davenport Police Sargent Mark Berger offered the following tips on the City of Davenport Facebook page:
- Shop with a friend, there's safety in numbers.
- Know where you parked, it'll be easier to find your car. Choose a spot in a well lit area if you'll be coming back to your car after dark. Also, have your keys in your hand while walking back to your car. You'll be able to get in your car more quickly.
- Don't "flash" your cash in ways everyone can see it.
- Use a credit card whenever possible, it gives you more protection than using cash or a debit card.
State Farm Insurance offers these safe shopping tips:
- Keep your purse close to your body. Men, keep your wallet in your front pants pocket or your coat pocket.
- Don't argue or fight over an item.
- Use only one credit card for your purchases. If there's a data breach only one of your cards will be compromised.
- Save your receipts and monitor your credit card activity.
- Drive carefully in parking lots, don't rush and get into an accident.
- Look around and under your vehicle while approaching it.
- Store shopping bags out of sight, ideally in your trunk. (You should do this with all your valuables, not just holiday purchases.)
- On the internet stick to stores/websites you're familiar with. Never commit to a deal that you think is too good to be true. It probably is.
Keep these things in mind while shopping and your holidays we'll get off to a great start!