Scott County YMCA To Hold 34th Annual Turkey Trot In Person
The Scott County Family YMCA is planning to hold their 34th annual Turkey Trot in person this year but with a few "safety tweaks" to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Once again this year, the Scott County Family YMCA will hold its 34th annual Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day, November 26. Because it's 2020, everyone assumed that like most races, it would get canceled or turned into a virtual race. Fortunately for those who want to run an in-person race in 2020, officials from the Scott County YMCA say that they will be having the race in person this year.
Officials from the Scott County YMCA said that the Scott County Health Department approved their plan which allows them to do a 1 mile, 5K and 5 mile races. The 34th annual Turkey Trot will be the first large race since the start of the shutdowns in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
To ensure safety and accuracy during the race, officials from the Scott County YMCA are implementing a few "safety tweaks" during this year's race. Some of those tweaks include limiting the number of racers. According to our news partner, Local 4 News, race officials say that they plan to limit the amount of runners to 1,500 compared to the normal 2,500. The rest of the safety measures are listed below:
Packet Pick up/Registration
- 6 dates to ensure safe traffic flow and social distancing
- Bettendorf Family YMCA - 3800 Tanglefoot Ln, Bettendorf, IA 52722
- Thursday, November 5th: 5:00 PM - 7:00PM
- Thursday, November 12th: 5:00 PM - 7:00PM
- Thursday, November 19th: 5:00 PM - 7:00PM
- Davenport Family YMCA - 606 W 2nd Street, Davenport, IA 52801
- Monday, November 23rd: 5:00 PM - 7:00PM
- Tuesday, November 24th: 5:00 PM - 7:00PM
- Wednesday, November 25th: 11:00 AM - 6:30 PM
- Participants will choose their slotted start time
- Elite Runners only begin at 8am
- Family Fun Run/Walk (begins at 7:45am)
- 5 Mile Run/Walk (begins anytime from 8:05 to 10am)
- 5K Run/Walk (begins anytime from 8:05 to 10am)
- Slots will be capped for safe distancing in 5-minute times
- Chip timing to have accurate race results
Officials from the YMCA say that pre and post race activities will be limited to avoid large groups. They will have announcements, music and more to keep the race atmosphere.
Officials say that for those wanting to participate in this years Turkey Trot will select their start time at the time registration. Those who register before November 1 will receive a long sleeve t-shirt.
Parking will be available at Modern Woodman Park the day of the race.
Below is the map of the 3 races that start at the Davenport YMCA.
- 5K Course – 2nd Street, left on Main Street (hill), turn after Locust, head back down Main Street (downhill), right on 2nd street…FINISH.
- 5-Mile Course – 2nd Street, left on Main Street (hill), right on Lombard Street, left on Brady Street, left on Central Park, enter flat Vander Veer Park, left on Central Park, left on Harrison Street, left on Lombard Street, TURN around on Lombard/Main Street, left on Harrison Street, right on 2nd Street…FINISH.
- 1-Mile Family Fun Run - This will move along 2nd Street, to Main, up to 5th, turn around and return on the same path